Just Out of My Grasp - Did Someone Say Snow?

IT'S COMING NEXT MONTH! HOPE YOU'RE READY!
Ahoy Fellow Fathomers, I’ve decided to use my blog not only to writing, music, and other facets of entertainment, but, also to share my journey. I’ve had significant health problems for almost two years. Initially, my rheumatologist diagnosed me with systemic lupus (SLE) on June 19, 2013. However, the medication wasn’t working and I kept getting worse and developing new symptoms. So, after second, third, and fourth opinions, my neurologist believes instead I have fibromyalgia.  
I hear some of you sigh and groan. Frankly, I don’t blame you. Because for a long time, I was one of THOSE people. Yea, THOSE people. The ones who snubbed my nose at the notion of Fibromyalgia. I know I’ve said it before, but, it bears repeating because I want anyone reading this to understand how important recognition and respect for this disease is. An auto-immune disease of any kind is a formidable opponent, but, luckily, I’m harnessing it.
For the most part.
This past weekend, my daughter and I took a bonding vacation to Colorado. We love the mountains and rarely get a chance to relax and enjoy them. Usually when we visit, we are downhill snow skiing. Unfortunately, the last time I went was in November, and it made my feet cramp and burn and hurt so badly, I didn’t take very many runs downhill.
Wow, sadness, let me tell you.
I mean, I’m not very good at downhill skiing anyway. I’m a green trail girl at best and even some of those make my cramping toes curl and I pray the entire way down I make it without breaking a bone. I like lazy trails that I can gain slight speed, but, remain in complete control. However, when downhill skiing since I don’t ski fast, it means I must maintain a defensive stance against gravity.
Big pizza, big pizza…(anyone from elementary ski school will understand) but, in order to slow down, you take your skis and in a type of pigeon toe, force your skis in a big “V”, with the point at the tip of your skis. It helps you slow down, but, it also takes intense leg muscle and foot involvement to keep that position while actually moving downhill. Or, I make long ribbons of trails by skiing almost sideways and turning. Imagine a big zig-zag from a sewing machine and that’s my snowtracks.
Yea, I’m a speed chicken. My un-casted life flashes before my eyes and I imagine myself in head to toe plaster if I allow speed in the picture.
Yea, I’m a chicken. Period.
But, my daughter and I tried something this trip that I think I’m gonna love! We tried cross country skiing. I could go at my own pace and aside from some gradual slopes over the course of winding, flat trails, there was no fear of losing speed control.
Best of all, my feet didn’t hurt the same way! Yes, I had some beginner’s tension that took over my tendons and created some discomfort, but, for the most part it was amazing. I could stop when I needed to and go faster at my own pace. It is awesome exercise and got me out on the snow trails again.
It was just what I needed.
I didn’t even use my ear buds for music…(like my teenage daughter did…sigh)
Thank you for listening, each week I will have a new installment chronicling my journey. Please, please feel free to comment, write, share. I hope to use this forum as a help to all of us, no matter what pain you are experiencing. You may also send stories to me via finlessbook at gmail dot com. I will respect your privacy and maintain your anonymity, if you so desire.
Hugs for today …

Comments

Iris B said…
I feel for you for not getting a 100% answer! I'm hoping to finally have found was my problem, and the changes in my diet finally seem to work!
Apologies for the lack of knowledge, but apart from that you don't want to have a disease full-stop, would fibromyalgia be the lesser evil of those two?

Popular posts from this blog

Demise on Top of a Mountain...Blue Ink-Tuesday Tales

Easter Blog Hop!!!

Tuesday Tales and Shades of Gray