A Star is Born


A Star Is Born – Movie Review


I plan to see this movie again in the theater, dragging along my box of Kleenex, ready for a repeat of the angst, heartbreak, and sheer emotion this movie seems to evoke from audiences. I’m a huge fan of soundtracks and how much music provides the best backdrop for any script. This movie goes above and beyond basic sound mixing to display some of the best original song writing and performing, not only for a film, but, for a record period.

The incredible chemistry between Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga is amazing and sort of awe inspiring. The music these two created captured love broken down into the gritty basics we sometimes ignore in reality. Stripped of pretense, the songs created for Jackson and Ally made me swoon, and listen non-stop to each and every heart touching musical interpretation of the life these two lived onscreen, longing for such devotion in my own relationships.

Bradley’s dedication to become Jackson included some remarkable voice coaching. The vocal changes created the icing on the cake for his character development. The full package of director, seamless transition to Jackson, and support for his vision demonstrates Bradley’s talent as a movie creator powerhouse.

Cooper in Plano, TX, my closeup
I’ll admit, in earlier movies such as Wedding Crashers, The Hangover and He’s Just Not That Into You, his salty arrogant characters almost made me dislike him. Crazy, I know. But, emerging in American Sniper and Silver Linings Playbook, the diversity and depth he provided to those roles rapidly changed my opinion of his capacity and skills.  More than a set of piercing blue eyes, his wide-ranging abilities, and commitment to character, pierced my heart more than once.

(Side note, my daughter and I stood outside a theater in Plano, Tx for the premiere of American Sniper. Front and center, she stood poised with her iPad, which Bradley signed on this way into the theater. That moment thrilled my then teenage daughter more than words can say.)

Lady Gaga has been aweing me for years. When she first appeared on the scene mysterious, but, appearing in public in some of the most ridiculous behaviors, I wondered if there was true talent buried under all that raw meat. She possessed much more talent than I ever believed. With each album, she solidly situates herself among some of the best in the field.

Singing the National Anthem during the Super Bowl in 2016, nailing the difficult song with patriotism and dedication, she garnered well deserved attention, probably leading to her selection as the halftime act for the Super Bowl in 2017. An especially difficult political time, Lady Gaga spoke to all in the watching audience during her spectacular halftime performance.

Seemingly becoming more serious, leaving behind the superfluous garish costumes which gave her career a necessary entrance, Lady Gaga continues to impress with her talent, dedication, and diversity. Starring in American Horror Story for two different seasons, Gaga demonstrated seasoned acting skills.

Lady Gaga also gathered attention in a documentary, Gaga: Five Foot Two. Allowing fans a backstage view into her life, at times stripped down and decidedly vulnerable. The documentary also describes health struggles from chronic pain brought on by fibromyalgia.

Gaga breathed life into Ally, an ingenue waiting to be discovered, self-conscious about her looks, but, never giving up hope. Blown away by her rendition of La Vie en rose, Jackson finds his way to the dressing room, determined not to leave without her. I think he fell in love with her right then and there. I know I did.

Sam Elliott’s turn as Jackson’s older brother adds another level of depth to the cast. I don’t think this man can do anything badly. His rugged, yet melodic, voice captivates the ear, especially when he tearfully reveals how much their father really loved Jackson.

Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real perform as the band behind Jackson Maine. A talented group led by the son of the one and only Willie Nelson.

The grim ending is widely known, preventing some people from seeing this film. I don’t blame them, it’s tough, gutting, and emotionally took a toll on me. Angst riddled my soul for the next several days, creating such a somber mood, I cried at least once a day. Of course, the recent unraveling of my love life probably didn’t help. At least this movie is helping me purge some pent-up sentiments. I felt this movie from start to finish and for several days after.

A Star is Born is a true work of cinematic art from a stealthily committed cast. I plan to watch it over and over again, until it stops making me sad for the final farewell. “I want to look at you one last time.”

Aww, who am I kidding, it’s always gonna be sad.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Demise on Top of a Mountain...Blue Ink-Tuesday Tales

Tuesday Tales and Shades of Gray

Easter Blog Hop!!!