Saturday Sippers in The Locker!
Saturday Sippers in The Locker
Ahoy Fellow Fathomers! Welcome to a new feature here in The Locker called Saturday Sippers. Each week I’ll post a new skinny cocktail recipe for you to try. Many thinks to my Cali Bestie, Rhonda, for providing me with the deck of cards recipe book. J
Saturday Sippers in The Locker makes sense, as drinking was a large part of a pirate’s existence. As taken from The Pirates Realm, please see the following descriptions:
- Arrack - A strong drink made with fermented fruit or palm sap, rice, or molasses.
- Black Jack - Large drinking cups made of leather that were made stiffer with an application of tar.
- Bumboo - A drink of the West Indies made with watered rum and flavored with sugar and nutmeg.
- Grog - The nickname of a British admiral was applied to a mix of water and rum, the rum was a cheap antiseptic and flavor mask for the spoiled water that sailors often encountered while at sea.
- Hogshead- A large barrel or cask holding 63 to 140 gallons, usually referring to alcohol.
- Rumfustian - Raw eggs mixed with beer and liquor...NOT the breakfast of pirate champions.
UGH!! I promise you, the drink recipes I provide will be much more appealing!
Without further ado, the inaugural recipe is – A SALTY CHIHUAHUA! – guaranteed to prevent scurvy!
1 oz tequila
½ oz orange-flavored liqueur
¾ c grapefruit juice
Grapefruit slice for garnish
Wet the rim of the glass and coat with the salt. Fill glass with ice. Shake together the tequila and liqueur and add mixture to ice. Top with grapefruit juice and stir. Garnish with the grapefruit slice. Calories 188!