Tuesday Tales to Persuade


Ahoy Fellow Fathomers! It's time for Tuesday Tales.







A group of writers gather together and give our interpretation of a specific word prompt each week. This week we share the prompt "persuade".  You never know what you might encounter when you get inside our minds.  This will be an excerpt from my brand new yet-to-be-named WIP.

Enjoy!~









Paying careful attention to the tracks I made in the glistening, powdery snow, I had a hard time maintaining focus. Carving down the steep mountain, I also wondered where Matthew was.  If I look behind for him, it would cut precious seconds from my time down this run, not to mention I could beef it hard. I wanted to beat Matthew honestly and wished he would give me his genuine best at least once during our many races. He was too much of a gentleman for my own good.


Pushing on, my descent slowed, as my mind wandered even further away from my skis. He is the best coach for me, really for anyone, and I was so lucky.  We first met as fellow ski team members. His infallible intensity mirrored my tenacity, making us one powerhouse team. I felt his gut punch when he finally stopped competing.  It also scared me, that’s for sure.  If he can’t achieve the gold, should I even aspire for myself?  He would yell at me for thinking that way.


Matthew encouraged me every day, pushing success for me, in a place he himself would never go.  How he successfully transitioned from team member to team trainer without permanently damaging his psyche, I’ll never know. I think I’d be in a state of depression for years.  Maybe someday, I can ask him how he copes.


I can make the final lift ride of the day, but, I’ve got to move faster.  The only thing that could take Matthew off my mind was the chair lifts. I’m not a complicated girl.  But the number of people waiting in line made the decision for me.  My legs thanked each of those folks, as well as my grumbling stomach.


Turning, looking up toward the slope, Matthew skidded comically on the packed powder rapidly advancing toward her.  Steadfast, I steeled herself for impact, and for how close he was about to be to me. He wouldn’t persuade me to move with his antics.


Comically, Matthew stopped easily, feigning wobbly legs before abruptly plowing a snow shower over Laurel sport performance skis.  




 

Comments

I could feel her on the slopes. Great descriptions. Well done.
Exciting ski and snow details!
Trisha Faye said…
All I know is that I'd rather READ about the snow than BE in the snow LOL
Great scene!
Jillian said…
I love the descriptions here. Nicely done with the skiing and snow moves.
Tricia said…
I love her thoughts of him. I can tell by your words how much she admires and loves him. Great job!

Popular posts from this blog

Demise on Top of a Mountain...Blue Ink-Tuesday Tales

Easter Blog Hop!!!

Tuesday Tales and Shades of Gray