Tuesday Tales a Map of the World...take me away


Ahoy Fellow Fathomers! It's time for Tuesday Tales.





A group of writers gather together and give our interpretation of a specific prompt each week. Most of the time we write to a certain word. This week we write to a picture prompt. I chose a map of the world.   You never know what you might encounter when you get inside our minds.  This will be an excerpt from my new yet-to-be-named WIP.











 








“I guess you were in that crazy tornado a few days ago?”


“Yes, I made it to our cellar. The twister destroyed our house. There’s pieces of it all over the state.”


“You did the right thing. So, he wasn’t with you, but, he came for you after the storm passed?”


Another one-word sentence I hoped told him everything. “Yes.”


“You were underground with God knows how much stuff piled on top of the cellar. What more could you have done?”  He asked the very question I’d been tripping over since that day. Probing deeper, he confronted me with a challenge. “Will you please think about forgiving yourself?”


The sincere question became a quest without a map, starting in the dark with no light. Impossibility crushed my dreams, any hopes I’d had for the future. “I don’t know I ever can.” My jaw clenched, despair filled my lungs, squeezing out the air- half my world was forever gone. How does he not get it?


“Okay, within a week, my entire world disappeared. Can you all please let me be?”


“You’re in a very bleak place. On one hand, you deserve the right to mourn the loss of Garrett. He was your world, your partner, the one you planned to conquer the world with. But, on the other hand, you have a baby growing inside who already loves you. You are his, or her, entire world. With this little person, your priorities change from your own needs to the baby’s needs. You’ve got to be there one hundred percent, taking all the responsibility of mother and father. It’s not a task for the faint of heart. Not everyone could do it.”


Was this some kind of reverse psychology bullshit? “Thank you Captain Obvious. I thought I had some obscenely huge tumor in my stomach.”

Comments

Nice to have you back. Great scene. Love the last line.
Jillian said…
very clever use of the picture. I love this: became a quest without a map,

well done!
V.L. Locey said…
Welcome back! Wonderful use of the picture.
Tricia said…
Heartbreaking scene. She feels her loss so deep. My heart broke for her. Great job!
Trisha Faye said…
Great scene with a lot of attitude and emotion. Love how you used the prompt!
Nice scene! I love the spark in her.

Popular posts from this blog

Demise on Top of a Mountain...Blue Ink-Tuesday Tales

Tuesday Tales and Shades of Gray

Easter Blog Hop!!!