Tuesday Tales Like a Stone


Ahoy Fellow Fathomers! It's time for Tuesday Tales.



A group of writers gather together and give our interpretation of a specific word prompt each week. Once per month, we even write to an image.  You never know what you might encounter when you get inside our minds. This week our group writes to the word-stone This will be an excerpt from my new WIP for a new romance contemporary, What the Storm Didn't Take.

Enjoy!~



 


“When are you moving?”


Now, he took on a truly perplexed expression. “Moving? What are you talking about?”


He answered a question with a question. I tripped him up. “Sheila wanted to move back East. You’ve now been here for over six months, in Dallas I mean. Surely, your rotation has been long overdue. Isn’t she chomping at the bit for you to move?”


“It’s…complicated. I don’t have any answers for you right now. I’m here for your project idea, can we focus on that?”


I didn’t think so. Sheila was suddenly the large elephant in the room, disguised in a beautiful feminine form. “I haven’t talked with you about your life, your wedding, your job. I’ve monopolized our relationship with my needs. I’ve been selfish, actually.”


Pushing his empty plate away, Conner rubbed his hand over his face- his tell. “It’s not selfish. Rachel, you’ve had so much happen in this past year. You’ve endured more struggles that some people double your age. We needed to help you get into a good place.”


Oh, I understood. I was a distraction. Not in a bad way, but, I was his distraction. He could help me and put his own personal life on the back burner. “You didn’t want to move to the East Coast, did you?”


Closing his eyes, and tilting his head back, Conner released the biggest sigh ever. He didn’t sigh very often, only when he seemed frustrated or couldn’t control a situation. “No, I didn’t. My home is with my mom and…here, in Oklahoma. I had to move once. I got the chance to come back, so, I didn’t want to blow it.”


“What does that mean about Sheila?” Wait a minute, I didn’t want to know. This conversation was taking the darkened fork in the road. The place I avoided. “Never mind, let’s get back to why you’re here.”


Why was he here?


I mean really why was he here?


Finally smiling, he appeared as relieved as I felt. We needed to get away from such personal conversation. “Yes, let’s get back to the priority. If I’m digging holes, I need time to get it done. I’ve got to get back to work Monday you know.”


He meant temporary rotation. He didn’t move to Dallas permanently. He wasn’t on a stepping stone to move back here. He had his own life to live.


I think talking about Garrett was easier than talking with Conner about his personal life.


That’s messed up.







Please visit us at our main site for more interpretations of stone  Tuesday Tales Main Page

Comments

Interesting turn of events. Really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
Karen Cino said…
I'm interested in hearing his real reason for moving back. Nicely done.
Jillian said…
I want to know what she wants to know. Why is he there? Hmmmm.
Good use of the word prompt, too.
Mowing interaction. I love the image darkened fork in the road.
V.L. Locey said…
Wonderful snippet!
I could feel the tension between them and wanted to know what their history was. Makes me look forward to the next installment. Really, why was he there? Great job!
Trisha Faye said…
You've left us longing for more. Nice snippet and a great way to use the word prompt!
Tricia said…
I love the last couple of lines! I can't wait to see where things go from here.

Popular posts from this blog

Demise on Top of a Mountain...Blue Ink-Tuesday Tales

Tuesday Tales and Shades of Gray

Easter Blog Hop!!!