Letter To My Younger Self - Hello 2013


Ahoy, today in The Locker, I set a tribute to 2013 with an audience to anyone who has ever made a bad decision and had to live with the consequence. (Can I get a heck yea?) Although this fictional letter does not detail any one specific person, I believe it serves as inspiration for so many people. Raising teenagers/twenty-somethings gives me a new experience almost daily that I know they might regret later. But, I can’t tell them anything.
Just like no one could tell me anything when I was younger.
But, the point of this whole post is to let YOU, awesome reader, know that we all make mistakes, hurtful choices, wrong turns, suffer humiliations, let the ones we love down, sheesh, it’s a laundry list a mile long.
But…
The beauty is, you can move forward from it. Learn from it. Grow from it.
And, yes, even be a better person from it.
I hope you all have an amazing 2013!
Virtual hugs!
To Whom It Concerns:
I’m just asking for a chance.
This letter of explanation references a (misdemeanor, felony conviction, termination, expulsion, drug or alcohol abuse, or other fill in the blank bad event) I received in my (fill in the blank- teens, early twenties, mid twenties, whatever). With a heavy heart, I carry the consequence of a terrible decision I made and remain forever remorseful. However, due to my intrinsic family values, Christian faith, and desire to positively contribute to humanity, I overcame those former obstacles.  I use the lessons I learned from that experience to forge ahead on a positive path, never forgetting the strong implications of what could have been my bleak future.
Although my family always supported me, it was of my own volition I changed the course of my life. Although I shared my past with whomever necessary- from my performance, involvement and enthusiasm, I gained the confidence and trust from (again fill in the blank - teachers, mentors, friends, family, college administration, etc) receiving (again, fill in the blank- letters of recommendation, jobs, other opportunities) from those who got to know the “real” me.
I received a conviction of possession of illegal substances based on a passenger in my vehicle. Unbeknownst to me, this passenger possessed illegal substances while in my car. As the owner of the vehicle, I received charges as well.  After completing all recommended programs, the court reduced the charge to “suspended”.  Over the years , through attorneys, I attempted  to remove the charge from my record.  Unfortunately, with the charge now categorized as “suspended”, that is impossible.  However, never one to give up, I applied for a gubernatorial pardon, to finally fully expunge this solitary episode from my record. The lengthy process takes much time, yet upon completing all required paperwork, I remain confident in my success.
I do not deny I made a bad choice and I take full responsibility for my actions.  Afterward, I saw what I needed to do in my life to create positive changes, and I made those happen. Every day I find new reasons to celebrate where I stand now, always remembering the events leading me here—both the good and the bad. Even when I finally receive the governor’s pardon, I will carry the weight of this experience as a strong reminder of how hard certain choices can be to overcome.
For several years to now, I dedicate my life to the betterment of myself and my family. When I graduated from college, the university commended my performance as one in the top of my class-an honor I did not take lightly. These moments fill me with pride to share with prospective employers, new friends, and the like. Unfortunately, my past record also continues to haunt me, requiring me to share those very difficult, embarrassing personal details as well with individuals, such as you. However, I accept the necessity of my candor.
 I implore you for a face-to-face interview to demonstrate what an asset I could become to (your organization, business, school, etc.) My current employer will verify my exemplary work record.  I am more than my past mistakes. I am a wife/husband, a mother/father, daughter, son, a student, a hard worker, a Christian, etc. My faith in God is what gives me strength to write this explanation and gives me the certainty that I will rise above, and be an example for all those around me- first and foremost, for my children.
Thank you in advance for providing the opportunity for me to interview with you. I have many references, some of which include current and past employees of your establishment. I will provide contact information upon your request.  I look forward to hearing from you.
I’m just asking for a chance.
Sincerely
Many Adults Over the Age of 35

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Demise on Top of a Mountain...Blue Ink-Tuesday Tales

Easter Blog Hop!!!

Tuesday Tales and Shades of Gray