Just Out of My Grasp - My Personal Journey with SLE
Ahoy Fellow Fathomers, I’ve decided to use my blog not only to writing, music, and other facets of entertainment, but, also to share my journey. I found out on June 19, 2013 the reason for many of my ongoing health problems is because I have systemic lupus, also known as SLE.
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus
- Drug-induced Lupus Erythematosus
- Neonatal Lupus
- inflammation of the kidneys (lupus nephritis), which can affect the body’s ability to filter waste from the blood and can be so damaging that dialysis or kidney transplant may be needed
- an increase in blood pressure in the lungs (pulmonary hypertension)
- inflammation of the nervous system and brain, which can cause memory problems, confusion, headaches, and strokes
- inflammation in the brain’s blood vessels, which can cause high fevers, seizures, behavioral changes,
- hardening of the arteries (coronary artery disease), which is a buildup of deposits on coronary artery walls that can lead to a heart attack”
I knew that I had more sticky notes, lists, and doodles than ever before just to remember simple things like needing milk at the store. I would leave a room not remembering what I left for. I realize many of you will say, "I do that ALL the time." well, I literally do it ALL the time and even began forgetting words or the names of things.
I also had chest pains for several years and after periodic visits to cardiologists, they never detected anything abnormal on the tests.
It's very difficult to explain how you feel like you're falling apart piece by piece when you cannot distinctly verbalize what exactly is wrong. In a way the SLE diagnosis was a relief of sorts, but, I didn't feel that way for long.