My Medicated Mid-Life #teamHumira...maybe


My Medicated Mid-Life
There’s nothing more humbling than taking a child’s pose in yoga.
For real. I mean, taking a break in a yoga class seems like the wuss way out. But, today, I had to do just that. Take a child’s pose. My feet were cramping up something horrible during balance poses. My hamstrings stretched crankily, balking when I folded over.
FROM THIS
 
 
My eagle had landed. Pun intended.
TO THIS
In class, I was torn between feeling so much joy that I was there, at least doing what I could and crying because my body wasn’t cooperating. At moments, I felt like I was failing in a world I use to govern. A few years ago, I pushed myself, doing just a few more seconds in plank, running a few more minutes, lifting a stronger weight. Now, I’m lucky to sweat.
I relish when I sweat.
I’m ecstatic when I sweat.

I’ll repeat what I said last week:
“I try to remind myself to perform at least gentle stretching exercises every day. Living with RA and fibromyalgia make body movements critical and necessary to well-being. Taking the time for a few stretches helps the ache the next day.”
Yesterday, I took the cycling class and for about 25 minutes, I made my legs push forward. I pretended I was in control again, and not the pain leading the way. So, that was probably one reason my body griped, groaned, and stiffened when I tried to stretch and take the poses.
Our bodies remind us it’s essential to keep moving.
I’m hoping that getting back into a regular routine will lessen the stiffness and soreness I now experience. For now, it’s mind over matter.
And, yes, it does matter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slobber on my Keyboard?

Talented Author Kevin Rau

Tuesday Tales and Healing Waters