Tuesday Tales are Hardy


Ahoy Fellow Fathomers! It's time for Tuesday Tales.







A group of writers gather together and give our interpretation of a specific word prompt each week. This week we share the prompt "hardy".  You never know what you might encounter when you get inside our minds.  This will be an excerpt from my brand new yet-to-be-named WIP.

Enjoy!~




I bought out every fruit tree the local nursery had in stock. I’m sure I made the owners day with the amount of money I spent. Today, money was no object standing in the way of what I wanted to do. Conner and any available work staff helped me load them all into my dad’s truck and trailer.

“Are we going very far?” Eyeing the full load, he appeared to gauge the success rate of getting everything to the site.

“We aren’t going far at all. I’ll drive slowly with the hazard blinkers on. Don’t you worry about me.”

“I’ve never doubted your determination. It’s those trees who have to survive your lead foot.” Smiling, Conner raised an eyebrow, jerked his head toward the load of saplings, and took off the work gloves.

“Aw, hush, get in, we’ve got work to do with these hardy guys.” I tried to think of this as a routine project, I couldn’t think the word memorial without losing my shit. With the entire truck full of trees, I almost felt overwhelmed. How the hell would we get them all planted?

I hit the gas and off we went, racing at a turtle’s pace for the few miles to the new orchard. I’d never taken Garrett there, and I was suddenly hesitant to share such a personal place. Not knowing what to say, I chose to stay quiet, pretending to focus on my driving.

“Thank you for trusting me to help you with this.” He spoke so softly, I almost didn’t hear him clearly.

“It’s been a hard year, one of the hardest of my life. You’ve been so good for me, it should be me thanking you.”

“I’m your friend, Rachel, you don’t have to thank me. Shoot, I used to be your best friend.”

Somehow, I did need to thank him, it’s just how I felt. He always showed up, almost at my beck and call. Not many people would do that. “It’s important you know how much I appreciate everything you’ve done.”  

Staying quiet, Conner didn’t say anything further. Out of the corner of my vision, I saw him holding onto the top of the rolled down truck window. He appeared to be holding on for dear life. I hoped he didn’t think I’d crash at thirty miles per hour. Or, was he holding on to his patience with me?

“Are you good with doing this today?” Somehow, the question slipped out. I didn’t even realize I was thinking it.

“Absolutely, I think you chose the perfect way to celebrate Garrett’s life.”

Something in his tone of voice gave me permission to speak frankly. “You would’ve liked him. He was so kind, but, strong too, you know. He sometimes liked to act tough, but, he was really a pushover.”

“I know I would’ve liked him. If you loved him that deeply, he had to be an incredible man.”

“He would make up goofy songs, or his own lyrics to whatever was on the radio. Especially if I was down or in a bad mood. He always tried to cheer me up.” Those memories bubbled behind my sunglasses, readying their fall down my face.

“You were always a sucker for a goofball.”

“I’m scared.” Something else came out of my mouth I didn’t even understand.

“It’s okay. We can do as much as you want today. We don’t have to finish. If you get uncomfortable or sad…you can take a break. I’ll keep working.”

 


Comments

V.L. Locey said…
What a lovely interlude. Well done!
Touching scene. Immortalizing someone with trees seems like a beautiful thing to do. Great job.
Cris Martin said…
Perfectly written, I could feel the emotions/tears bubbling up behind her glasses and ready to fall down her cheeks. Well done ✔
Jillian said…
Very sweet post this week. Nicely done. Bless her.
Tricia said…
So much emotion in this scene! But I sense Connor is holding something back. Great job!

Popular posts from this blog

Demise on Top of a Mountain...Blue Ink-Tuesday Tales

Easter Blog Hop!!!

Tuesday Tales and Shades of Gray