Tuesday Tales in a Box


Ahoy Fellow Fathomers! It's time for Tuesday Tales.



A group of writers gather together and give our interpretation of a specific word prompt each week. Once per month, we even write to an image.  You never know what you might encounter when you get inside our minds. This week our group writes to the word-box.  This will be an excerpt from my new WIP for a new romance contemporary, What the Storm Didn't Take.

Enjoy!~



 









My day brightened, even if I didn’t want to acknowledge it. “I’m okay, trying to eat this breakfast.”


Observing my tray, he smiled. “You’re doing a great job. I’m happy to see your appetite perking up.”


“I’m doing what I can to be a good patient.”


“It’s all we can ask.”


This wasn’t his usual schedule, hopefully he wasn’t there to deliver bad news. “It’s early in the day, what’s the morning visit about?”


“Well, I was going through some of my storage containers and found something I think you might like.”


Storage containers? What in the world was in his history I would be interested in? “You don’t say?”


Waving a little brown paper bag in my direction, he teased me with the mystery. “Yeah, I got a kick out of it.”


“Okay, I give, what’s the big surprise?” In a way, his delight brought a little happiness to my morning.


Fishing around inside for the contents, he looked between me and the sack. He held up something in his large hand, waving it around triumphantly. “Look what I found!”


Inside his long, skilled fingers he held little plastic toys. Memories of times with Conner temporarily enveloped my sadness, folding it up neatly before tucking it away. Upon further inspection of the mysterious, I saw the unmistakable brown, molded outline of a body wide mane. “No way, is that what I think it is?”


For a moment, I was transported back to my childhood days. We spent hours playing with action of figures of different sorts. However, Star Wars was our clear favorite. Our parents influenced us with the likes of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg while our friends were hooked on Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles. I acknowledged our parents all the time for their tutelage in the classics.


“How cool is this?” Conner clearly had a huge kick of delight upon bringing me this treasure.


“You still have Chewbacca. I’m impressed.”


“I kept these tucked away in a dresser drawer or something, so, they never made it to the donation box.” Handing the figure over to me, he also held up a couple more. “Look, I have Obi Wan and Yoda too.”


“Wow, we really did spend hours with these things, didn’t we?”


“Yeah, it was awesome. I credit those hours with building my imagination. We were never bored were we?”


“No, I can say we weren’t. Plus, I was the only girl so I didn’t have to fight with anyone else about being Princess Leia.”


“That’s right, probably the most important part. You had no competition.”










Please visit us at our main site for more interpretations of box  Tuesday Tales Main Page

Comments

My kids loved their Star Wars figures.
Tricia said…
This one hit home for me. I had tons of Star Wars figurines and I used to play with a friend from school. And like the heroine, I never had competition to be Leia! Great job!
V.L. Locey said…
My younger brother had tons of Star Wars figures. Great snippet!
Jillian said…
love it! Star Wars is near and dear to my nerdy little heart.
LOVE Star Wars! Sounds to me like she still has no competition with Connor, right? Lovely memories.

Popular posts from this blog

Demise on Top of a Mountain...Blue Ink-Tuesday Tales

Tuesday Tales and Shades of Gray

Easter Blog Hop!!!