Carrie Fisher WAS Princess Leia- a Diplomat for the Curious and Stubborn


Growing up, our family didn’t have much money. I had what I needed, and never wanted for anything. Christmas was always magical, and Santa always filled my stocking. Coca-Cola commercials were incredibly affectionate, and filled my heart with love. In 1977, I was young, impressionable, and believed in the power of what lie ahead of me. My mom watched Dr. Who on PBS, and sparked my imagination full of wonder and the possibility of “what was out there”, before the X-Files asked the notorious question.

Then, came Star Wars. Oh. My. God. I was hooked, mesmerized, enchanted. This young, small feisty princess wielded a blaster, took charge and pushed the limits of what a Princess could do. She reconfigured in my mind what a girl could do, given the gift of possibilities. I had a new role model, Princess Leia Organa, and new crushes, Han Solo and Luke Skywalker. Honestly, given the choice, Han Solo was the rogue I loved. I mean, who could resist him?

Driving home from the movie theater, which was a rare treat to go to the movies, I looked into the sky and imagined the Millennium Falcon darting, zooming through the darkness. Our quartet of good guys led the way, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Chewbacca.

Thankfully, I got the action figures, and my best friend, Stephen, and I played Star Wars longer than I can really remember. I was always Princess Leia- that was the benefit of having a boy best friend. I imagined running from Stormtroopers, escaping a garbage compactor, saving the galaxy from Darth Vader. All while keeping my hair in perfect place and never breaking a sweat. Princess Leia made my childhood more fun and inspired.

I cried real tears today for a person I never met, for a person who truly changed my young mind without even knowing me. She added stars to my imagination. A Princess died today, someone who may have never known how much she touched young lives, for generations to come, and more on the way. Princess Leia was a legend, a diplomat for the curious and stubborn. The galaxy lost a renowned ambassador today, and for that, I’m truly blue.

Rest in piece, Carrie Fisher. Millions loved you more than you could ever imagine, more than the stars in the galaxy you so fabulously represented.

My heart hurts.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

srimaha said…
Thanks for the useful post. I hope to have many more entries or so from you. Very interesting blog. Also visit As built drafting services,this is a helpful resource to enhance knowledge about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Demise on Top of a Mountain...Blue Ink-Tuesday Tales

Easter Blog Hop!!!

Tuesday Tales and Shades of Gray