TUESDAY TALES? YEP, We are BACK! waving "ribbons"


Happy Hot Tuesday and WE ARE BACK for Tuesday Tales? Today, I return to my current WIP, re-titled Split the Uprights for my Fantasy Leagues series. This week we write to the word prompt "ribbon".
 
It's exciting because I'm so close to the end of writing this first book. Which means, it will retire from soon from Tuesday Tales. I may get one or two more out of it. :) I'll just have to wait and see.
 
Danika was there that day when my uncle took me back to that house one last time. I was supposed to stay in his truck. I don’t even know why I was with him. The look in her eyes, it wasn’t pity, it was empathy. But, my immature mind couldn’t tell the difference. I thought she was afraid of me and I didn’t want to hear her insults. I heard them enough at school. But, how could his beautiful creature want to hurt anyone? I still wouldn’t take the chance. When she opened her mouth to speak, I ran back to my uncle’s truck. He told me to stay inside anyway and I didn’t want to anger him. I needed a home and didn’t want him to kick me out for disobeying him.

I would spend the rest of my life listening to my uncle and respecting him. I couldn’t imagine my life without him and my crazy aunt. They took me in when everyone else deserted me…even my own mother. A ribbon of doubt waved through me.

She could have lived life in that wheelchair, but, she gave up on me. It was selfish, cruel and I didn’t know if I’d ever forgive her. Meeting Danika brought everything back with such clarity, it gave me a headache to imagine it. I felt an immediate connection to her because she was there, at that pivotal moment in my life. Fate couldn’t have been more opportune. It left me with lingering questions and I wanted immediate answers.

Who the hell takes their child to a crime scene cleanup job?

Why the hell was I confused by it?

I sat there long after the sun went down, processing everything again with an adult frame of mind. I was back, deeply absorbed in those moments with a mature coherence, yet still blaming myself somehow. The night gave me comfortable obscurity that nothing else could. Other than the moon giving me away, the blackness gave me shelter. But tonight, literally, I saw Danika in a new light, the silvery moonlight illuminated the truth. She had a tougher core than I possessed, though I tried valiantly to fake it. It seemed like I was destined to disappoint her too, we were so different.

Now, I needed to find that same explanation for my mother’s actions. Fate reopened a wound I thought had healed long ago. One thing was crystal clear- I wasn’t good for anyone, especially not for intimacy. But, how do I walk away?"
 
 
BEFORE YOU LEAVE ME FOR SOME OTHER AWESOMELY TALENTED WORKS, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY LATEST REVIEW! Here's just a snippet- "The main characters are realistic and draw the reader into their struggle to explore their feelings and build a relationship. With elements of love, friendship, erotic sex scenes, humor, romance, and a hint of suspense, this titillating tale fires up the senses to deliver an entertaining read."
Goodreads Ind'Tale Review Sexy Bea Spelling

Now head over to our main page for more responses to the word prompt "bloom"...;)Tuesday Tales Main
 

Comments

Her anguish and self doubt are palpable.
Iris B said…
liked the snippet!
morgan said…
What anguish, I have to concur with Flossie.
Jillian said…
Wow. Well don on the emotions.
Anonymous said…
Lots of pain and confusion. Well done!
I especially like the phrase you used the prompt in. Excellent!

Popular posts from this blog

Demise on Top of a Mountain...Blue Ink-Tuesday Tales

Easter Blog Hop!!!

Tuesday Tales and Shades of Gray